We invite you and your family and friends to contribute your stories and experiences. We accept images, video and audio submissions in English and any Asian language. Here are some possible topics you might think about!
- When did you find out your child is lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender? Did you suspect it beforehand? If so, why?
- How did you find out? Is there anything you would have changed about his or her coming out to you? Do you wish that you/(s)he had handled it differently? And if so, how?
- How has this changed in what you want for your child, if at all?
- How did you feel when you first found out about your child’s sexuality?
- Did you have any fears or disappointments? If so, what were they? How do you feel about it now?
- What factors helped you change your opinion, if any? Talking with your child? With friends? Learning more about homosexuality?
- Does your extended family and/or friends know about your child being lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender? If not, how do you deal with this family secret if they ask “does (s)he have a boyfriend/girlfriend?” or “when will (s)he get married?”
- Has your child’s sexuality changed your views on homosexuality?
- What would be helpful to have now (like a network, support group, etc.)?
What else would you like to share with other Asian or Pacific Islander parents/siblings of lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender people?